Sunday, February 6, 2011

Five for the Fight

So my church finished a lecture series today entitled Five for the Fight.  It was an amazing series that set forth to give people the tools to overcome many of life's biggest challenges.  I have come to the conclusion that a majority of the stress we have in our life is self made, but then there are the other issues that are completely out of our control.  Which ever category the problem falls in, solving it or getting through it is where people hit a road block.  This series enabled you to use scripture to help guide you to a solution.  So when is the last time you were asked to memorize scripture?? Well for me I think it dated back to my private school days at Sacred Heart.  But, I was up for the challenge.  After all, it was just five verses. It was really neat to see all of the people, kids and adults, at the memorization stations each week.  Everyone really got in to it, not to mention the prizes that you could win if you completed all of the verses. But I think the most important element of this activity was the ability to dissect the scripture.  If you are feeling lonely, it lead you to a verse.  Battling addiction, gave you a verse.  Financial troubles.... gave you a verse.  According to a Gallup Poll many self declared Christians do not know how many books are in the bible or how many Apostles there are.  Basically the point is that people are attending church but have no knowledge of the foundation upon which their religion was built on... the Bible.  I have to admit that I don't study Scripture and don't know many people that do.  However, maybe when I am feeling low or are looking for guidance I should turn to it.  After all, it must have done something right to earn the nick name, "The Good Book". Here are a few of my favorite verses I learned:

Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up.    1 Peter 5:8-9

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.  Psalm 34:18

No comments:

Post a Comment