Thursday, December 9, 2010

The definition of Strength.

strength  (strngkth, strngth, strnth)
n.
1. The state, property, or quality of being strong.
2. The power to resist attack; impregnability.
3. The power to resist strain or stress; durability.
4. The ability to maintain a moral or intellectual position firmly.
5. Capacity or potential for effective action: a show of strength.
6. a. The number of people constituting a normal or ideal organization: The police force has been at half strength since the budget cuts.
b. Military capability in terms of personnel and materiel: an army of fearsome strength.
7. a. A source of power or force.
b. One that is regarded as the embodiment of protective or supportive power; a support or mainstay.
c. An attribute or quality of particular worth or utility; an asset.
8. Degree of intensity, force, effectiveness, or potency in terms of a particular property.
Strength is a quality I have been searching for. I hear praise from many people for how strong I have been through the past few months.  I am a teacher.  I love teaching in every sense of the word.  Teachers have the ability to be something greater than they realize.  They are the keeper of secrets, the voice of knowledge and hold the power to promote positive change.  Teachers belong to a vast organization of others with a common goal - to mold the youth of today for a better tomorrow.  So when I reflect on the inner strength I have displayed to others I realize that this must have come from a place deep within that I didn't realize I had always carried with me.  Those who know me well know that I am highly emotional.  I wear my heart on my sleeve and are easy to upset.  However, I am greatly devoted to those that I love.  When I love, I do so with my whole heart.  When I listen, I do so with open ears.  I believe that everyone around me is a teacher.  I learn from others; through their experiences, mistakes, heartaches, joy, grief, etc.  We obtain true strength from the support of those around us. Our family creates a strength that is irreplaceable. Our friends provide us with honest truths and unforgettable memories.  I believe it is through all of these relationships I have found my strength and for that I am thankful.  So the next time I am praised for my strength I will say thank you in return, but know that I am thanking all of those who have provided me with the "embodiment of protective or supportive power".

No comments:

Post a Comment