Friday, June 8, 2012

Constant reminders in life; What is a Friend?


friend  (frnd)
n.
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: friends of the clean air movement.
5. Friend A member of the Society of Friends; a Quaker.
tr.v. friend·edfriend·ingfriends
1. To add (someone) as a friend on a social networking website.
2. Archaic To befriend.


Sometimes we need a friend, sometimes we are a friend, and someone times we are reminded of who are friends really are.  I am not generally one of those people that says just anyone is my "friend". I love days when friendships are truly validated.  When you see actions or hear words that remind us why you love that person and value them in your life!  

Today was one of those days for me.  I have been so stressed and exhausted from the move and job search that I have not taken time to appreciate all the little things and be thankful for those I hold dear to me.  I have some of the best friends one could ask for.  Some friends I do not get to see as often as I would like, but when we are granted the opportunity we pick right back up as if a day has not passed.  

When I left my job at Scott Elementary last week I did not tell anyone goodbye.  The relationships I have forged with these women since 2009 are not all just work.  They were all part of the scariest time of my life and their support, love and prayers were invaluable.  I did not want to say goodbye because I am determined to maintain those relationships.  I know that it is hard to maintain friendships when you are not near each other every day. 

 Although I am not as good at it as I would like to be, I have tried to maintain communication with my friends from Kansas.  As we grow older and raise our children we tell stories of our childhoods... I wish my kids got to spend time with those I shared these memories with.  Just the other day I was showing them pictures of me, Elizabeth and Kasi showing sheep at the County Fair. They also saw pictures of me, Erin and Kim competing in our very first pageant.  These stories and pictures reminded me to reach out and connect with these people soon, because it had been too long! Thank goodness for Facebook!!

So, this summer I have a plan.  For starters, I am going to work on keeping in better touch with those I do not see often.  I am going to make sure that my friends here in Arkansas know I appreciate them for being a part of my life and that I do not take their friendship or support for granted.  Take a moment to appreciate your friends this summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment